Here are some specific instructions in regards to making 508 Compliant Layout and Formatting For An Adobe PDF:
- Acrobat Accessibility Tags must be added to each element of the PDF (see image below).
- The PDF document must have a logical reading order set (see image below).
- The PDF document must have the tab order set.
- Full Accessibility Reports must successfully pass Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 or higher internal test (showing that no errors are present)
- Test PDFs using the Acrobat Pro "Read Aloud" function.
The above image shows a logical reading order and accessibility tags added to a PDF