Here are some specific instructions in regards to layout, formatting and other visual considerations in order to make a website 508 compliant:
- Page elements should not flicker at an unhealthy rate (ie less than three flashes per second).Pages should not contain the marquee and blink elements
- All information conveyed by color must also conveyed by context, markup, graphic coding, or other means.
- A contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1 must exist between text, and images of text, and background behind the text.
- A correct contrast ratio needs to be maintained when images are not available.
- A correct contrast ratio needs to be maintained when CSS is disabled.
- With CSS disabled, color and font information must still be rendered.
- With CSS disabled, headings, paragraphs, and lists must be obvious and sensible.
- With CSS disabled, the order of the page content must make sense as read.
- With CSS disabled, any content or functionality provided by the CSS through mouse action must also be provided through keyboard triggered event handlers.
- An alternative should provided for components, e.g. plug-ins & scripts, that are not directly accessible