Here are some specific instructions in regards to making 508 Compliant Layout and Formatting For Microsoft Word Documents:
- The Microsoft Word document must be formatted using style elements in a hierarchical manner
- The Microsoft Word document must refrain from using flashing/flickering text and/or animated text.
- The Microsoft Word document must utilize recommended fonts such as Times New Roman, Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica and Calibri.
- Page numbering codes must be used as opposed to manually typed page numbers.
- If footnotes are present, they must be created through Microsoft Word Footnote linking.
- If color is used to emphasize the importance of selected text, there must be an alternate method or description.
- The Microsoft Word Bullet style must be used as opposed to manually typed characters.
- The Track Changes feature in Microsoft Word must be accepted or rejected and turned off.
- All comments and formatting marks must be turned off in Microsoft Word.
- The Document must be reviewed in Print Preview for a final visual check.
- All URLs must contain the correct hyperlink and display the full address.
- All URLs must be linked to active destinations.
- Files that contain a Table of Contents (TOC) must use the TOC field created using the TOC Command in Microsoft Word